Website on a Weekend
- Duration: 2 days
- Maximum students: 10
What's in it for me?
Learn to build a website over one weekend. You’ll be amazed by what you’ll learn with us in just a couple of days, and where you can go with this. By the time you leave, you will have real, marketable skills to use in your current (or brand new) career or business!
This is a project-centered course, which means we leave with a real product, not just random papers scribbled with notes.
The end result is a beautifully designed multi-page website, incorporating image galleries, audio, video, subscription form and much much more.
What we'll cover
At a glance:
- The building blocks of the internet and how web pages work
- Introduction to everything HTML and CSS, right through to more elaborate and sophisticated features and layouts
- How to write code by hand and modify the code of existing websites
- Learn how to build and design for all device types
- Adding images and the correct way to do it to build your accessibility and SEO rankings
- In-depth skill development across SEO and accessibility techniques
- Linking to other parts of your site and external sites
- Get the confidence to jump in and edit code in Squarespace, WordPress and other programs
- Just what is this ‘semantic code’ business?
- Fine tune your CSS
- Change the way your site looks across different devices (mobile and responsive design)
- Get creative with typography by using custom fonts
- In-depth code editing and writing
- Advanced use of images in CSS
- Learn techniques for structure and performance of large and complex sites
- All about industry-standard version control systems such as GIT
- Sound and movement with audio, video and animation
- Add a subscribe form to your site that integrates with Mailchimp
- Make it slick – learn about cross-browser testing and ways of dealing with older browsers
Anything else I should know?
This course is made for anyone who wants to learn something new and is suited to those who have zero experience coding.
An understanding of how computers generally work (installing software as well as opening and saving files) would be highly beneficial, but we’ll go through all that on day one anyway.
Who should do this workshop?
Website on a Weekend is primarily aimed at those wanting a business, portfolio or example website, although the skills learned are valuable across many fields.
The site we build over the weekend will be of benefit to businesses big and small, including builders, trades, artists, bands, designers, freelancers etc. This course is also perfect for teachers, who need to rapidly upskill in digital technologies and gain confidence to teach and learn alongside their students.
If you’re in business and not sure you need to learn to code, check out this article we wrote for the answer to that very good question.
Website on a Weekend is also perfect for someone thinking of a career change, but not quite sure they’re ready to jump into a three-year computer science degree.
If you have previously completed any of our Fundamentals classes or our Website in a Day workshop, then this workshop is the perfect addendum. Note that these workshops are not prerequisites to participate in Website on a Weekend.
What should I bring?
Two of the most important things we need from our students is a positive attitude and a thirst for knowledge. We can’t give these to you on the day – you must bring them with you.
As far as technical things: Bring a laptop (Mac, PC or Linux – it doesn’t matter).
When you sign up for the workshop, you’ll receive a welcome email listing the software to install prior to our time together. This should take you no more than half an hour, and is imperative you do before the workshop to allow us to get through all of our fabulous content.
Of course, if you have any difficulty with installation, we’re only a phone call or email away.
Please also make sure you have admin rights on your computer – this means we can install things on the day and you’ll be able to save files to your hard drive.
If you’re using a computer from your employer, make sure you have admin rights before you come along.
Upcoming dates for Website on a Weekend
Keep in the know on all Meeum workshops.
Let us know your email address and we'll let you know when we're headed your way.