This is primarily for Meeum students undertaking one of our multi-day workshops, although anyone can follow along if they’re looking for a bit of help with this installation.
GitHub Desktop is one of the easiest pieces of software to install, so this process should only take a couple of minutes.
There are videos below for each Operating System if you’d prefer that format.
Installing GitHub Desktop on Windows or Mac
The process is pretty simple and much the same for either Operating System:
- Go to https://desktop.github.com/ in your browser of choice and hit the “download” button.
- After the .exe file has downloaded, double click it and accept any permissions that may be required
- Once the .zip file has downloaded, double click on it so that an .app file is now present
- Drag the .app file into your Applications folder
- Accept any permissions that may be required
- If prompted during the installation process, sign in to your GitHub account that you created when you signed up for GitHub in a previous step.
- If you are not prompted to sign in to Github, then go to File –> Options in the top menu, and sign in from there.
That’s it! Videos below if you’d prefer: